by Margie Olivares
Bexar County, along with a few adjacent counties (Bandera, Comal, Guadalupe Atascosa, Medina, Wilson and Kendall) all face an impending utility rate increase. A decision approved by the CPS Energy Board was passed by the San Antonio City Council on an 8-3 decision on Thursday, January 13. The rate increase agreed upon was by 3.85%, boosting customers’ monthly bills by an average of $5 starting in March. Making your home efficient could save you tons.
Energy-Efficient Tips & Tricks
- Use LED light bulbs throughout your home.
- These light bulbs use up to 90% less power and last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Get detailed data on your home’s use by installing a whole-house energy monitoring system.
- They also help you understand when and where you use the most power.
- Install one to help you develop your own strategies to be more efficient.
- Purchase energy-efficient electric space heaters and coolers, water pumps, and appliances that are Energy Star efficient. Check the label on these items.
- Reduce the number of appliances that are ‘always-on’.
- Unplug any appliances and electronics not in use if possible.
- Use advanced power strips to plug in your appliances and electronics. Reduce the amount of electricity wasted while not in use.
- Install/use a programmable thermostat.
- Turn back the thermostat overnight or when nobody is home. Save around 10% or more a year on heating and cooling costs.
- Check home for air leaks.
- Seal and insulate the foundation walls of any unventilated crawl spaces and check for moisture and deterioration.
- Check the attic for proper insulation!
- Visit Energy.gov to calculate your annual electricity consumption and costs with their Appliance Energy Calculator
- Check with your local energy company for rebates on upgrades
For more information on ways to reduce your costs, visit Energy.gov/energysaver or contact your local utility company for more information. To learn more about the homes Habitat builds visit the ‘About our houses‘ page.